Thursday 14 February 2013

My first Natural Hair event

Last month I well and truly fell face first off the blogging band wagon.  I've been a bad blogger.  Mainly preoccupied with sorting shit out, starting a new job and such, but I'm here to make amends!


Three weeks ago, Friday 25th January to be exact, I finally got my act together and made it to my first natural hair event, the Nubian Beauty and Photography event in Stratford!
Hosted by and featuring a photography exhibition by Louise Sam, the night was held at Purely Natural.  I'm not familiar with the area so had no idea this salon, which caters for Afro and Natural Afro Hair existed, but you learn something new everyday!  Word on the street is that they were enlisted to groom the hair Ms Knowles the younger when she was in town recently, so if it's good enough for her...
Nubian Beauty and Photography Event Friday 25th Jan 2013

Of course, my week old hair do was looking a little tired thanks to a sweaty samba session the night before.  Hiding my messy barnet underneath a hat would have defeated the purpose of the game, so Friday afternoon was spent trying to revive a dishevelled 2 strand twist into a halfway decent up do!

I met my friend and fellow natural head Ami beforehand,  both natural hair event virgins we were equally excited and not really sure what to expect.  As soon as we got there however, the smiley faces and spread of nibbles put us at ease.  Yes, we've both craven but hey, there are worse vices!



The small gathering featured free make up tutorials as well as hair consultations and styling sessions from the salons stylists.
Fellow attendee Fran, from T&F Fashion and Events 
with her red mohican

Host Louise Sam displayed a selection of beautiful Nude photographs of black women as part of an exhibition to a shatter negative stereotypes about black female bodies and answer questions like, 'What does African female beauty mean' to you?'


There was a live set from chanteuse Sage-Aurelie Rose and an acoustic guitar.  Sporting a fierce blonde teeny weeny afro, this lady's performance was a real treat, she has a beautiful voice and I'd highy recommend you check out her Soundcloud page.  She covered 'Fly away' Lenny Kravitz and delivered some of her own material.  A song called 'Up' was one of my favs.


Ami and her do
Hair wise, I was especially impressed by one of Purely Naturals lock technicians Nayman, who demonstrated his years of training expertly tending the locks of several attendees.  After he had finished refreshing one ladies locks I asked her what she thought.  She told me that she normally did her own hair because she hadn't found a salon that could do them they way she wanted.  But after this session with Nayman, first time in years she was happy with the way her hair looked and would definitely think about coming back.

She wasn't the only one. The stylists went crazy for Ami and her honey coloured hair.  They worked their magic on her golden fro for an hour to produce this side canerow/mini twist combo, that home girl was very pleased with!


So our first Natural Hair event done and dusted and it was none to shabby.  Ami thinks she's finally found a salon that could be for her and the both of us looking forward to attending lots more hair meet ups!


Kanika x

No comments:

Post a Comment