Sunday 17 February 2013

I have never...!


At the beginning January I wrote about having a New List.  It’s basically my quest to make sure each year I hallmark my time by experiencing new things.

It means that with each new year I try to have an idea of at least one New Thing I’m gonna do, but it also means that if at any point I’m presented with the opp to do something new, I give it a go.  I’ve already done a couple of new things this year so from now on I'm going to be documenting my new achievements in  ‘I Have Never...'

So here goes. Technically this isn’t my first I Have Never... of the year, but it’s a goodun’.


I Have Never...taken part in a Flashmob

Last Thursday 14th,  I joined in my first Flashmob dancing in support of One Billion Rising.   One Billion Rising is a global initiative started last year by Vagina Monologues creator Eve Ensler, in response to the shameful statistic from the UN that:

One in three women on the Planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime.

This translates as the unbelieveable figure of ONE BILLION WOMEN!

14th February 2013 was the 15th V-day, another initiative by Ensler, and One Billion Rising was a world wide call to arms for men and women to Walk Out, Dance, Rise Up, and Demand an end to violence against women and girls.






In this vid, shot before the week before V-day 2013, Eve explains why the need to Rise and why dancing is an important part of this.


 
I love dancing.  Although I can be a bit shy, sometimes there’s nothing that exorcises your demons better than a good, hard dance. It’s quite primal. When you’re really able to let go, you don’t have to think about what your body’s doing, you only listen to the beat and let your body do the rest! The way we communicate with our bodies, although sometimes subtle, can be so much more effective and meaningful than words.
When I started samba almost 5 years ago, it was just to try something new. But it’s become a form of release, enjoyment, freedom and has meant inclusion in a community that has educated and supported me, helping me through a very difficult time in my life.  The beauty and power of dance is that anyone can do it and do it anywhere! Because of this, because one billion women is a billion too many and because I’d never taken part in a Flashmob, I decided to Rise.

I had only had an hour that morning to memorise the dance. Retaining choreography quickly, is NOT one of my fortes.  After meeting my friend V and going to the Valentino Couture exhibition at Somerset House (I got my recommended daily dose of the Vitamin V that day) we headed to the Southbank Centre for 2pm to get my dance on.

I was nervous and the routine was starting to seem a bit fuzzy. I didn’t know anyone dancing, although V was lending her support from the sidelines.  It being a flashmob, some of the finer details hadn’t been mentioned,  so as a bunch of people dressed in red and black gathered by the 2nd floor bar, I followed suit.  On came our get ready queue, Cyndi Lauper's, ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’.   I loosened up a bit and by the time 'Break the Chain' (the One Billion Rising anthem) came on, most of the nerves had waned.  We were having fun, laughing, cheering and getting into the choreo.  I forgot a couple of moves, but that didn’t matter, I wasn’t the only one.  But it was fantastic, I felt a little emotional at the end. I had done it, it was great and I would gladly do it all again!

*UPDATE* Here's a video of the Southbank Flashmob, shot by another friend who made a fleeting visit to record the action.  Thanks Chud!




Still riding the righteous wave after the flashmob, I stuck around the Southbank Centre and took myself to a talk with Southbank Creative Director Jude Kelly and MP's Yvette Cooper & Stella Creasy, both fresh from a parliamentary vote on reforms to sex education in the UK.  Sadly, it seems some politicians are unable to grasp the radical concept that making sex education compulsory, and teaching all young people about respect in their relationships with one another, might be beneficial to their well being.  Shame! But both Cooper and Creasy spoke passionately about their agenda and how we as supporters can and will make a difference by engaging in this debate.  

It was a great discussion and a taster of things to come when next month the Southbank hosts the WOW! Women of the World Festival, 6th-10th March.  I'll be acquiring a festival pass and getting myself to as many events as possible! Find out more info on their website, HERE.



Kanika x


p.s  Shout out to the Southbank centre.  It's one of my favourite parts of London. There's always something going on and a lot of great stuff, completely free!  If you're not familiar with it, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment