Monday 22 September 2014

Boxed out!

The last time I got braid extensions, I cried!

I was 18, about to go to Uni, and I wanted a hairstyle I could manage without the help of my Gran. So why the tears? Well, (and I still feel pathetic admitting it, but) it was because my Mum and Granma decided to go Bad Cop/Bad Cop on me and ridicule my choice of hairstyle!

They made it very clear that no self-respecting, style-conscious young woman would be seen dead in the outdated, childish style of braids I wanted.  You see I wanted single, not too thick, box braids à la Brandy back in day. Unfortunately my mum and gran insisted on canerow braids à la Alicia Keys. Nothing wrong with that style but NOT want I wanted.  According to them my hair was way too thick for box braids, I have to add too much synthetic hair to my own and I'd end up looking stupid. Just the kinda encouragement you need for when you're about to move away from home!  The humiliation and frustration of supposedly being an adult and not being allowed a say on how I looked broke me that day, hence the waterworks.


                    
                        Brandy circa sometime in the 1990's -
                        What I wanted, minus the burnt ends   
 The style I was strong armed into getting -
Alicia Keys.
 
I hated the braids. They were thick, heavy and I couldn't style them the way I wanted to.  Not surprisingly they only lasted 2 weeks before I took them out and swore never to go there again!


Fast forward 11 years and....I finally went back there, a month ago. As the Queen of my Samba School (EXCITING HUH!! But more about that in a later post) I was having the most amazingly, beautiful costume made for me for Notting Hill Carnival.  The designer wanted big, long hair to go with his eye popping creation!  Hmmmm, up cropped dilemma one. If you've read my Phony or not to phony post, you'll know I prefer not wear hair pieces when I dance, and as you're now fully aware, the last time I had any hair like appendages attached to my own, the experience is not littered with fond memories.  What, to, do?

Do as you're told and OBEY, that's what!

You only get to be the Queen of my Samba school once and Notting Hill is our biggest event, so you goes hard, or you damn well goes home! Besides, I fancied a change, and bum length box braids were one hell of a change!




Three bags of finest value (synthetic) hair from Walworth Road and 7 hours later, I had me some Rapunzel looking braids - thanks to my mum. She didn't quite do them exactly how I wanted, yup my mum still hasn't broken the habit of a life time by not listening to me, but I was happy with them.





(Above left) Here I am, caught half dressed on Carnival Monday, skipping from room to room as I assemble myself. My outfit (above right) is pretty bloody awesome right!  I put my hair into a high pony tail. The hat which I love, love, love, is quite tall; so tall and combined with my heavy hair which stubbornly refused to sit high enough for long enough, it sorta flopped out the back of the hat, but overall it had the desired result, BOOM!


On the way to the starting point it was
already drizzling with force
Torrential rain + pheasant feathers = droppy, sad
feathers.  

Carnival was fecking AWESOME by the way, but, a complete wash out. We all got totally, water dripping down your face drenched, but nothing was going to ruin this day. Only a serious act of God would have stopped us hungry Carnival goes getting on da road!We survived despite wet and everyone still had big smiles on their faces.


Pretty much summed up the day


On other people I love braids, on myself, not so much, but I grew to like them again this time round. After the my hair dried post Carnival downpour I was set on only keeping them in for a week but found that I almost got used to them.

Messing around after Carnival
Style wise, I kept it simple in a long braid or in a bun, but annoyingly gravity always ended up showing me who was boss, and pulling on my roots no matter how I styled them.  The braids were easy enough to maintain though, a bit of coconut oil, spritz of water and a headscarf every night kept them neat. My mum helped me with touch ups when some of them started get fuzzy, because I still don't know how to fit them myself.
I should have followed blog sister Karla's advice to have fun and play with different styles while I still had my braids, but I didn't, and in the end after 3 weeks of the weight and pulling I took them out.


Would I have them again? Definitely. I'm getting fed up for my handful of go to styles and it's time to switch things up!
I just need to figure out a better way to attach the extensions to my already thick hair and minimise the added the weight and pulling but once I do, the braids will be back


Kanika x



No comments:

Post a Comment