Thursday 28 November 2013

A year in hair....well almost

'Hair as a metaphor for life', is how the idea behind our blog has been summed up.


Sounds ridiculous? Well, not really.  For me definitely and for Miss Karla, there's a lot of truth in that statement.  What we've done with our hair has, many times reflected what we were or weren't doing with ourselves.  Karla for example this year finally took out her braid extensions, writing about the experience here.  They had become her equivalent of a hair blanky that she was slowly having to ween herself off,  and now, she's having a whole heap of fun with her new, freer do.  I can personally vouch that her shiny, super soft head of healthy hair is looking very cute indeed and is currently accompanying her are she gets ready to fulfill one of her life dreams: dancing with a famous Rio Samba School for Rio Carnival 2014.


My hair.....hmmm, my hair is hanging on in there despite some odious instances of neglect this year.

Fascinator, pompadour &
victory rolls for a
40's style party
At the start of 2013 I was all about trying new stuff. I was all over the retro updos (left), pinning, headscarves and quiffs. I dusted of my Curlformers like I said I would and managed to master my own take on a Rose the Riveter do (below right).  

At some point this year my hair and I entered into a long distant relationship. As I got busier, more stressed and feeling less like my myself the fun of experimenting fizzled out. Lack of time and inclination meant that chunky twists pinned back in simple updos became my go to style. Quickish, practical and low maintenance, praise be!

Scarf purchase courtesy
of Brixton Market
In May I finally visited the hairdressers for a straighten 'n' trim, my first in 2 years (I know, I know, will never, ever leave it that long again to get a trim), the split ends and fairy knots were too much to bear.  Sadly, there are no joyous pics of me frolicking about with my shorter, straight hair, and it wasn't coz I couldn't fix my face long enough for pouting over the shorter length to take a decent pic. Truth be told I was disappointed that despite my careful maintenance, my bra strap length hair (yep it was that long, sniff) was getting sizeable chop coz the ends were in a sorry state.  However, better more consistent care would have prevented that in the first place, so I had to take it like a big girl and remember my hair was better off. Anyway, aside from that I was too busy and too feeling stressed to give a damn about posing for hair selfies, which I suck at taking anyway.




Releasing the stress, releasing the fro
with my home girl Lili from Brazil
At my worst, after losing my job at the start of summer, my hair was just another thing to think about if I could muster the brain cells.  Luckily I had Samba and my friends to prop me up.  I spent the Summer trying to forget feeling crap by volunteering and performing. Dancing meant that my hair had to be outta the way and protected from tangles, so step forth chunky twists pinned up again and mini twists arranged in loose buns or French braids. Once or twice, when I needed reminding of myself I put a bit more time and effort in and let my hair be freeeeeeee (left)!


Cut to last month and I hadn't done a thing to my hair for the whole month. It was in chunky braids, dry as hell, messy and the ends were all snarled up: not pretty.  The detangle session that followed verged on epic, I will never leave my hair so long without tending to it, but by the end of that Herculean task it was all back to normal.


Last weekend, I wanted something fuss free, that would last a bit and look nice, so I washed my hair, stretched it gently with medium heat from the blow dryer and was all set to do mini braid 'n' twist. Styles don't last long in my hair, mini twists would unravel in day so I have to braid the roots and do they small to minimise this.  But last Friday I really couldn't be arsed spending hours doing them small and getting a numb bum for my troubles, so I just did them big and my hair looks fine.


You know what.  After vowing at the end of last year to try lots more hair things, keep it health, looking nice and different etc but not managing to, my hairs not in a sorry state!  It's not broken off, it's not shredding ten to the dozen.  It's a little dry, the ends could be better and the fairy knots are breeding a pace, but my hairs not in bad condition considering.  Nothing a good deep condition and a trim won't sort in a jiffy

So, things I've learnt about my hair in 2013 (WARNING: this isn't rocket science):

  1. Regular moisture really does do wonders for your hair.
  2. Keeping you hair and ends tangle free is good!
  3. You don't need to do lots of fancy stuff to you hair to keep it healthy and in good condition.
  4. Mammoth wash day sessions I described here last Christmas....forget it, aint nobody got time fo' dat!
  5. If in doubt and you can't be bothered, keep it simple.  Your hair and your sanity will thank you later.

I know this is all old news, but the temptation to try every new fandangled style, technique and product to keep your dos looking good and in tip top condition is time consuming, when all you really need to is follow the basics and be patient. Unfortunately, some of us (me) have extra hard heads and good, sound advice takes a bit longer to settle on the brain ;).



Kanika x

1 comment:

  1. Nice pic dear!!! I like you hair style. For more style and good look you can use hair extension. Hair extension is very easy too use.

    Regards,
    Luxury Hair extensions

    ReplyDelete