Friday 9 November 2012

So proud I could cry



I'm not American and I've already spoken about the weighted attention I think we in the UK pay to the US, but this is different. I remember four years ago when Barack Obama first got elected, waking up and feeling that the world was different. Now little Black boys everywhere could look up to someone, the President of the United States of America and say out loud, "If he can do that - not least with a name as ethnic as Barack Obama - so can I".

Finally rappers, gangsters and perpetrators of the benefits of so called 'Thug Life' had competition, there was someone else for little boys to look up to and aspire to be like. A man who stands for progress, from introducing something resembling a fair healthcare system to America (I still can't believe how many people had to suffer because of how expensive PRESCRIPTIONS are) to acknowledging that people in love should be able to get married, whether they are gay or straight.

My sister had a little boy last year and I can only say how happy I am that he is growing up in a time where he will always be able to know there was a Black face (yes, yes, I know Barack is mixed race, but he's literally the same shade as my nephew, so...) and a whole Black family (no absentee dads here!) in the White House.


Thank you America for voting, and thank you Barack Obama for being awesome.



Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment